Several new features have been added to the board, check the Announcements for more details!

Restoring backup

Discuss all different Software in this forum.

Topic Author
Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner
Tech Knowledge: Intermidiate

Restoring backup

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 09 Dec 2014, 20:10

I have a HP Pavilion computer I bought new in 2008, it has two 250 GB hard drives with C: split to include HPs Factory Image to restore it to new.
I had it set to automatically backup Drive C: to Drive D: which it did. Drive C: recent;y crashed, corrupted Registry it said, and all my attempts to recover it failed. So I finally used the Factory restore option with included a full backup, took 14 hours to complete. When it was done it advised me to restart and after restarting to restore the backup I had just made. I restarted but then, of course, it has maintained ever since that it is unable to find the backup to restore it.
Any advice on how to find it? I have loads of stuff there I really don't want to lose, that's why I backed it up all along.

AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators
Tech Knowledge: Advanced

Re: Restoring backup

Postby AVenger » 09 Dec 2014, 20:45

Does the computer still recognize the D: drive in your file system or computer management?

If so, you should be able to run the backup and restore wizard and browse the location for the back up file. If that doesn't work, I have been able to open the backup folder manually and drag and drop the files I needed from it.

This is of course if you are running Windows 7. Windows 8 and 8.1 changed the way backups are made and restored. And I'm not certain on how to resolve this issue on that OS.

Let me know what you find.

Topic Author
Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 09 Dec 2014, 20:49

Running Vista, I will see what I can find.

AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 09 Dec 2014, 20:51

[quote="Cpt. Blackbeard"]Running Vista, I will see what I can find.[/quote]

Vista is the only Windows OS since XP that I have never run on any of my machine before. I would think that the back up process is similar to Windows 7.

Let me know what you find.

Topic Author
Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 09 Dec 2014, 22:04

Device Manager shows two drives. (plus several more with the card readers) but I remember in the old days there was a page that listed drives by C:, D; etc, I can't find that page now.

AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 11 Dec 2014, 08:31

It's called Disk Management. See what it looks like there. It might also show you if a hard drive is corrupt.

Topic Author
Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 11 Dec 2014, 09:53

OK, might have it, I'm gonna see if I can restore, if yes I may be offline awhile, it took 14 hours to make the backip. If it's not it I'll be back sooner :D

Topic Author
Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 11 Dec 2014, 21:00

OK, took all day but it finally completed, said backup successfully restored. I clicked finish, window closed, but nothing has changed, even after a restart none of my old files are showing. Weird.

AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 11 Dec 2014, 22:23

[quote="Cpt. Blackbeard"]OK, took all day but it finally completed, said backup successfully restored. I clicked finish, window closed, but nothing has changed, even after a restart none of my old files are showing. Weird.[/quote]

Did it allow you to select a location to restore? Is this a file backup or a system image? Does it look like the space on your drive has decreased because of the new files (look in disk management)?

Topic Author
Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 11 Dec 2014, 22:31

It's the HP System Restore, it backed up the entire drive before doing the Factory Image restore, today I restored all the files it backed up, over 200 GB of Data. But although it said it completed successfully nothing changed. And I was so looking forward to coming in here with a success story tonight.

AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 12 Dec 2014, 09:51

[quote="Cpt. Blackbeard"]It's the HP System Restore, it backed up the entire drive before doing the Factory Image restore, today I restored all the files it backed up, over 200 GB of Data. But although it said it completed successfully nothing changed. And I was so looking forward to coming in here with a success story tonight.[/quote]

Hahaa, me too. No worries though. We'll figure this out.

Since it is an HP backup, I'm not certain you can browse the files. I assume you are using the HP restore wizard. If you have another computer with a larger hard drive available, you could try to run the restore on there to see if anything changes. If you ran it and no files copied over, I'm at a lose for solutions.

Let me know what you think your next step is.

Topic Author
Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 12 Dec 2014, 10:02

Ok, what it did is simply copy the files back to C: drive, there is a shortcut to them on the desktop, but it did not restore them.

AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 12 Dec 2014, 10:15

[quote="Cpt. Blackbeard"]Ok, what it did is simply copy the files back to C: drive, there is a shortcut to them on the desktop, but it did not restore them.[/quote]

But you have the files? Can't you then copy them to the locations you want them at?

I mean, it's a little more work for you. But at least you have the files.

Topic Author
Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 12 Dec 2014, 10:29

Files yes, that is great, but I want the computer back the way I had it. Here is what I have:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Cp ... 531060.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Cp ... d80186.jpg

AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 12 Dec 2014, 10:59

Blackbeard,

I believe I can resolve this now.

When you ran the backup before you refreshed your system, it copied the contents of your drive into a back up file. Then you reinstalled Windows from the CD as a clean install. The next thing you were expecting was to run the restore and all your files and programs install and copy to their original location.

This is not how restoring a backup works. When you restore a backup, it cannot reinstall programs. It can only copy the files to a location your specify (C:\System Recovery Files). When you install a clean version of Windows, you will have to resinstall all your programs manually and then copy the files over manually as well.

This is how to process works. I hope that resolves your issue. Let me know if you have any more questions.

xiaofei12
Level 1
Level 1
Tech Knowledge: Beginner

Postby xiaofei12 » 09 Jan 2015, 03:33

When it was done it advised me to restart and after restarting to restore the backup I had just made.

Return to “Software Discussion”