Several new features have been added to the board, check the Announcements for more details!

Windows 10

Discuss all different Software in this forum.

Topic Author
AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators
Tech Knowledge: Advanced

Windows 10

Postby AVenger » 08 Dec 2014, 15:48

Has anyone installed the preview yet? Is anyone giving it a try?

I installed it over the weekend. But I haven't had a lot of time to really play around with it much yet. I'm liking their UI updates though.

ASLnerd
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Re: Windows 10

Postby ASLnerd » 08 Dec 2014, 19:32

They already have a preview out? Where can I get it?

Topic Author
AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 08 Dec 2014, 19:43

[quote="ASLnerd"]They already have a preview out? Where can I get it?[/quote]

Welcome back, ASLnerd!

Here is the link: [url]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/preview[/url]

Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner
Tech Knowledge: Intermidiate

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 08 Dec 2014, 21:15

I'm still using Vista. If this old computer will last till spring I hope to be able to replace it then, by that time perhaps it will come with ten.

Topic Author
AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 08 Dec 2014, 21:21

[quote="Cpt. Blackbeard"]I'm still using Vista. If this old computer will last till spring I hope to be able to replace it then, by that time perhaps it will come with ten.[/quote]

10 isn't due out until late fall next year. But if you get a nice laptop, you should be able to upgrade to 10 when it is released. Of course, you'd have to pay for the OS..

jmarkk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jmarkk » 10 Dec 2014, 01:07

Probably not going to install the preview, but I really like the look of Windows 10. I hate to compare windows and mac, but the "Mission Control"-esque feature of Windows 10 is REALLY nice. When you have a large workload spread out among multiple apps, it's a godsend for organization. Usually at work I use, depending on the day, 4-6 desktop configurations to control all of the apps, programs and webpages needed for me to function. Will wait till its release to see how the public reacts to it and hopefully see a couple more demonstrations from Microsoft, but I'm definitely going to seriously consider upgrading.

fords8
Premium
Premium
Tech Knowledge: Expert

Postby fords8 » 10 Dec 2014, 10:06

I have it install on a Asus laptop. So far I like it and I think it is going to do well.
Coming Soon

Topic Author
AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 11 Dec 2014, 08:36

Multiple desktops have been around for Windows for a while. But they have all be from third parties. Now MS is adding it right into the OS and I think that's awesome. I'm still waiting to see what other new features it will contain (minus the resurrection of the Start Menu).

ASLnerd
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby ASLnerd » 13 Dec 2014, 16:05

[quote="AVenger"][quote="Cpt. Blackbeard"]I'm still using Vista. If this old computer will last till spring I hope to be able to replace it then, by that time perhaps it will come with ten.[/quote]

10 isn't due out until late fall next year. But if you get a nice laptop, you should be able to upgrade to 10 when it is released. Of course, you'd have to pay for the OS..[/quote]
I had gotten a laptop with Vista on it several years ago, and when Windows 7 came out, I got the upgrade but I don't think I had to pay for it. But AVenger is right, you should be able to get an upgrade to 10 when it comes out if you get a laptop with 8.1. And you may not have to pay for the upgrade, or you might have to pay to get the upgrade.

KomputerKid
Banned
Banned

Postby KomputerKid » 14 Dec 2014, 06:10

[quote="Cpt. Blackbeard"]I'm still using Vista. If this old computer will last till spring I hope to be able to replace it then, by that time perhaps it will come with ten.[/quote]
Same here. I had windows 7 but it went wrong and corrupted so I just went back to vista.
I really do need a new pc or laptop... I do most of things from my iphone or tablet.
Any problems drop me a pm.

fords8
Premium
Premium

Postby fords8 » 15 Dec 2014, 11:51

See the new leaked Windows 10 photos of the new Xbox app and Cortana integration?

[url=http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/14/7389563/windows-10-xbox-app-cortana-features]CLICK HERE[/url]
Coming Soon

Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 30 Dec 2014, 11:11

Microsoft is building a new browser as part of its Windows 10 push

There's been talk for a while that Microsoft was going to make some big changes to Internet Explorer in the Windows 10 time frame, making IE "Spartan" look and feel more like Chrome and Firefox.

win10whatsnext.jpg
It turns out that what's actually happening is Microsoft is building a new browser, codenamed Spartan, which is not IE 12 -- at least according to a couple of sources of mine.

Thomas Nigro, a Microsoft Student Partner lead and developer of the modern version of VLC, mentioned on Twitter earlier this month that he heard Microsoft was building a brand-new browser. Nigro said he heard talk of this during a December episode of the LiveTile podcast.

Spartan is still going to use Microsoft's Chakra JavaScript engine and Microsoft's Trident rendering engine (not WebKit), sources say. As Neowin's Brad Sams reported back in September, the coming browser will look and feel more like Chrome and Firefox and will support extensions. Sams also reported on December 29 that Microsoft has two different versions of Trident in the works, which also seemingly supports the claim that the company has two different Trident-based browsers.

However, if my sources are right, Spartan is not IE 12. Instead, Spartan is a new, light-weight browser Microsoft is building.

Windows 10 (at least the desktop version) will ship with both Spartan and IE 11, my sources say. IE 11 will be there for backward-compatibility's sake. Spartan will be available for both desktop and mobile (phone/tablet) versions of Windows 10, sources say.

Read the full article http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-is-building-a-new-browser-as-part-of-its-windows-10-push/

Topic Author
AVenger
Board Moderators
Board Moderators

Postby AVenger » 30 Dec 2014, 21:05

That is very interesting. Too bad it still won't be webkit like all the other modern browsers. Just means more work for us web designers ...

Cpt. Blackbeard
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Cpt. Blackbeard » 30 Dec 2014, 22:41

People have complained for years that MS isn't standards compliant, my theory is they want their product to BE the standard and can't understand why everyone else doesn't follow their lead. :D

Simba
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Simba » 06 Jan 2015, 03:49

From a look at the preview video from the Microsoft Website, the trend of me liking ever other generation of Windows Operating System is set to continue. I haven't had much experience with Windows 8, but both of my parents have that on their computers, and personally I think it looks awful.
My first ever computer run the operating system XP which I really liked, then when I got my first laptop it was running Vista, I prefer the vista interface over the 8 interface but it was a painfully slow operating system. Windows 7 is currently my favourite operating system which I have been using for a almost two years with my current laptop and I love it.

I am very happy Windows 10 is bringing back the start bar function, a feature which personally should never have been dropped by Microsoft in the first place. When my laptop eventually dies, I will be happy to move onto the Windows 10 system, but will miss the design and feel of Seven.
Simba - Tech-Squad Administrator
Please join my rollercoaster forum http://coasterzone.co.uk

Return to “Software Discussion”