Several new features have been added to the board, check the Announcements for more details!

Google Chrome vs Firefox 4

Discuss all different Software in this forum.

Topic Author
THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Google Chrome vs Firefox 4

Postby THCAndy » 17 Apr 2011, 07:54

Hey guys, so we're going back to the browser wars with this one. I thought I would help settle this once and for all, which browser is better?
Well I'm going to post pros and cons for each one, based on the experience a regular user may have. That means I'm not throwing in any mumbo jumbo to sugarcoat anything.

Chrome:
Pros:
- Starts up fast
- Between Firefox and Chrome, Chrome loads pages faster
- very convenient bookmark bar system
- "New Tab"s actually have a function, and serve as a very convenient homepage
- All of the settings are straight forward
- Multi Process browser* (This can be a good or bad thing)
- UI, in my opinion is much better than Firefox. In total, including the Bookmarks bar, there are 3 bars at the top of the browser. (Tabs and close/minimize/restore down integrated with the tabs bar. Also, View/File/Tools/History/etc. are integrated into 1 button, right next to the address bar)

Cons:
- Has trouble loading different types of plugins such as Java, and flash.
- Not as compatible with every site, as Firefox
- Multi Process Browser*

Firefox:
Pros:
- Very compatible with most websites. After using FF as your main browser for a week or two, you'll find little errors with sites. (I said a week or two, because in that time you will likely have visited all of your regular sites and had a chance to install any plugins)
- Single Process Browser* (again, this is a good or a bad thing)
- The skins are pretty cool on FF, a lot more customized giving you a personal feel
- I feel as though the autofill feature is a lot more convenient than Chromes
- Easier transition from IE

Cons:
- Loads slower than Chrome
- Starts up slower than Chrome
- If you utilize the bookmarks toolbar, there are 5 bars at the top of your screen.
- Single Process Browser*

* A multi process browser gives each of its tabs a new process. To find out more about this go here:
http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/multi- ... cture.html

Overall:
When choosing between FF and Chrome, you're asking yourself, "Do I want speed, or reliability?" Because although FF is catching up to Chrome, they just don't have the speed. And while Chrome is becoming more compatible with all websites, FF still takes the cake. In 5 years, if there isn't already another innovative browser out, I predict that FF and Chrome will be just about the same.

Hope this solved some of the arguments. Feel free to contribute your own pros and cons to the thread.

Update:
Chrome has an awesome page (about:memory) that shows you how much memory your open browsers are using. I tested this with FF and Chrome having the same 2 tabs open, here are my results.
http://awesomescreenshot.com/054bi9694

Staff, do not edit this post.

Charlie
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Google Chrome vs Firefox 4

Postby Charlie » 17 Apr 2011, 08:17

Good post Andy,i was a big user of explorer 5/6/7/8,but it became unreliable. I switched to Chrome and really liked all of the features,especially the speed. Also tried FF,a bit slow but very reliable. Good site on the Awesome Screenshot.

Thanks

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Tech Knowledge: Expert

Postby shovenose » 17 Apr 2011, 10:31

I have to admit I don't like the new Firefox 4. I tried setting it to look almost exactly like 3.6, but i still don't like it quite as much.

Google Chrome is my other broswer on my other PC (for the sites that don't work on IE9) and it's very fast, (noticably faster than IE9) but it has too many issues.

I actually used IE8 by choice for a while, and was surprised by the compatiblity and stability, but it was slow. IE9 is still a little slow, but I don't trust Google, so I would not use a Google broswer..

Topic Author
THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Postby THCAndy » 17 Apr 2011, 12:34

shovenose wrote:I have to admit I don't like the new Firefox 4. I tried setting it to look almost exactly like 3.6, but i still don't like it quite as much.

Google Chrome is my other broswer on my other PC (for the sites that don't work on IE9) and it's very fast, (noticably faster than IE9) but it has too many issues.

I actually used IE8 by choice for a while, and was surprised by the compatiblity and stability, but it was slow. IE9 is still a little slow, but I don't trust Google, so I would not use a Google broswer..

In all of my experience with IE, it just sucks. I use it to install drivers/freeware on computers in the shop that I have just reloaded their OS. I must say, it couldn't even open the hp site to get the drivers for it, I had to use google chrome to download them. Overall it's just slow and crashes more often then I can appreciate.

Sublime Oz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Sublime Oz » 18 Apr 2011, 21:34

awesome post, very agreeable.
Chrome FTW!

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Postby shovenose » 18 Apr 2011, 23:18

I dont trust google...oh no i love my android phone...lol

Sublime Oz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Sublime Oz » 03 May 2011, 12:44

after reading this, I downloaded chrome to use it.
it is much like firefox but faster, but i have all my extensions on firefox and i'm happy with the speed. if I never get a chance to switch over though i definitely will

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Postby shovenose » 07 May 2011, 17:45

Well, I've been using Chrome for a while now and I can provide some feedback.
Verdict: good browser
I'm going to keep using it because Firefox 4 sucks.

sahaya
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sahaya » 07 Nov 2011, 05:56

google Chrome is the best browser, when i first downloaded it, my internet browsing was running at a lighting speed, i even checked my speed Ip-Details.com and it was normal 5Mbps too, i was using firefox which chocked my browsing capabilities .

1.when you close a tab, you are virtually terminating the process. This seams to have some interesting implications on the security of the browser
2.Google Chrome also implements a new privacy feature. They call it incognito. Basically if you browse while being in incognito mode, nothing ever gets logged.
3.Another interesting feature which I need to mention is that popups are not blocked but they open in a minimized window.
4.It has a very simple design, which allows us to browse faster than any internet browser out there.

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Postby shovenose » 07 Nov 2011, 13:21

Well sahaya, A few things.
1. I don't see how this would affect the security of the browser.
2. Firefox has the same thing, except they call it Private Browsing
3. Popups are a bad thing either way
4. Chrome is indeed smoother than Firefox as far as the interface.

By the way, Firefox also has an about:memory page...

Return to “Software Discussion”