Several new features have been added to the board, check the Announcements for more details!

Wireless card issues

Discuss all different Hardware in this forum.

Topic Author
shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Tech Knowledge: Expert

Wireless card issues

Postby shovenose » 12 Sep 2011, 00:42

Hmm...
My aunt's friend Wendy brought over her Toshiba laptop for me to look at. It was having some problems, namely the wireless being unreliable and Norton 360 not functioning.
I ran all the updates, reinstalled Norton 360 and then I rebuilt the Winsock Catalog hoping that would fix the wireless problem. I then installed CCleaner, cleaning off about 4GB of files, then fixed 5575 registry errors...In additional, I took the laptop apart, reseated the wireless card (a Realtek Mini-PCI-Express chip) and made sure the antennas were on correctly.

But...I don't know if the issue is actually fixed, because it was able to connect to the wireless network here at my house (It's a Netgear wireless N router with WPA security) and since the router is exactly 2 feet from where the laptop was sitting I couldn't test the range...Anyway...I'm going to call her tomorrow and see if it's fixed. Meanwhile I'm curious to see if anybody has any other suggestions as to what it could be.

Topic Author
shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Tech Knowledge: Expert

Re: Wireless card issues

Postby shovenose » 14 Sep 2011, 17:57

She never called me back so I assume it is working!

Return to “Hardware Discussion”