Several new features have been added to the board, check the Announcements for more details!

Upgrading RAM? Read this before you buy!

Discuss all different Hardware in this forum.

Topic Author
THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Upgrading RAM? Read this before you buy!

Postby THCAndy » 24 Feb 2011, 12:29

When choosing new RAM, you don't want to get the wrong type, because it just won't work in your computer. It won't even fit. To make sure you get the correct one, you'll need to continue reading.

What is RAM?
Random Access Memory (RAM) provides space for your computer to read and write data to be accessed by the CPU (central processing unit). When people refer to a computer's memory, they usually mean its RAM.

If you add more RAM to your computer, you reduce the number of times your CPU must read data from your hard disk. This usually allows your computer to work considerably faster, as RAM is many times faster than a hard disk.

RAM is volatile, so data stored in RAM stays there only as long as your computer is running. As soon as you turn the computer off, the data stored in RAM disappears.

When you turn your computer on again, your computer's boot firmware (called BIOS on a PC) uses instructions stored semi-permanently in ROM chips to read your operating system and related files from the disk and load them back into RAM.

(find more info about RAM here:http://www.kb.iu.edu/data/ahty.html)

When choosing RAM, the main thing you want to look at is the type of RAM. The different types include:
SDR, DDR, DDR2, and DDR3.

If you know which one your RAM is, then you're set, but if you don't this website will certainly help you out:
http://www.crucial.com/ There are two tools on this website you can use. Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool, which lets you manually choose your computer, by selecting manufacturer, then product line, and finally model number. If you are unable to complete this form, there is a some software you can download which will scan your system to tell you what kind of RAM you have. You can access this feature by clicking "SCAN MY SYSTEM" or visiting this link: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

Another thing to keep in mind is the speed of the RAM. If you're getting two sticks and one has a lower speed than the other, the one with the higher speed will "clock down" to match the speed of the slower one. Also remember, there is a difference between laptop and PC RAM, laptops are about half the size of PC RAM.

This is the basic information you need to know when purchasing RAM, hope I helped :)

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Tech Knowledge: Expert

Re: Upgrading RAM? Read this before you buy!

Postby shovenose » 25 Feb 2011, 01:54

there is RDRAM also!

you might want to mention laptop rm vs desktop ram they are different sizes!

bitrun
Level 2
Level 2

Postby bitrun » 27 Feb 2011, 09:43

thanks, I'll keep this thread in mind. I think I'm going to upgrade my RAM very soon :mrgreen:

Topic Author
THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Postby THCAndy » 27 Feb 2011, 21:55

Thanks Michael!
added

TechAdam!
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TechAdam! » 01 Mar 2011, 13:46

what is RDRAM? never heard of it

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Postby shovenose » 01 Mar 2011, 23:56

rambus made it ...overpriced crap that was faster than the pc133 of the time, but was blown away when ddr came along

Topic Author
THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Postby THCAndy » 03 Mar 2011, 10:59

shovenose wrote:rambus made it ...overpriced crap that was faster than the pc133 of the time, but was blown away when ddr came along

This would explain why I haven't heard of it, and the websites I researched RAM on didn't include it either.

OBSOLETE :domo:

Cage
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cage » 03 Mar 2011, 13:26

Thanks for the info,
I learn something new everyday on the squad!

Gamrpro
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Gamrpro » 22 Mar 2011, 17:48

I ran the Crucial scanner to find the exact one I needed to buy. Just download file, run it, results. Buy more.

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Postby shovenose » 13 Aug 2011, 10:19

Actually, you don't neccessarily need to download anything. If you've got a premanufactured PC, like a Dell or HP or Apple, you can just use their online tool to select the model and then it tells you what it supports.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”