Several new features have been added to the board, check the Announcements for more details!

How to keep your computer fast!

Discuss all different Technology in this forum.

Topic Author
THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

How to keep your computer fast!

Postby THCAndy » 23 Jan 2011, 00:16

After reading this guide, you should be able to keep your computer running fast and like new!

Well first I'm going to post my guide on how to keep your computer fast, which can be found here:
[Guide] Keep your computer clean!
THC wrote:Before you read this guide, please know that all the programs that are in bold and are colored, are links to the programs/website stated.

Well let's hope that you're reading this guide early on in your computers life, or that you have at least had some sort of protection as of this far.

First we'll start off with virus protection. Through all the different virus protection programs, I have found that the best one that is not free, is Kapersky, but I all of my guides feature free software. So the recommended virus protection, is Microsoft Security Essentials. This is a very secure, trusted, and light program. It is recommended that it starts on the start-up of your computer. It will turn orange when you need to scan, and red when there is a virus detected while you aren't scanning. So basically it is always checking to make sure you are safe, and protected. The best part of this program is it is completely free and will not ask you to pay.

Next thing you'll want to download is a good virus scanner. At my computer repair internship, we use SUPERAntiSpyware which is also a very good, free virus scanner. It is also recommended that you use MalwareBytes in situations where you think you have a virus. Malware is software that aims to damage or disable your computer.

Finally, as a little fine tuner, I run this about 3 times a week: Advanced SystemCare, basically this is a junk remover. It does a quick spyware, registry, scan, it remove things like internet history, and traces. It also deletes your cookies. Running this regularly will noticeable help your computer stay fast and smooth.

Well that concludes my guide. I hope you liked it!

Another thing you can do to help your computer speed is defragment it once or twice a month.

What defragmenting does
Well basically all files are stored in binary (0's and 1's) which you computer reads, in order to read the file. Once you add a few files to your computer, say you delete 1 file in a folder of 20 files. The file that you deleted still has its 0's and 1's for the computer to read, even if the file is gone. With these still there, it makes your computer take longer to read a file because of all those 0's and 1's of the deleted file still there. Defragmenting your computer takes away those 0's and 1's and makes it faster for your computer to read the files.

Choosing startup programs

Choosing what starts up when your computer does, is very important to the startup speed of your computer. Things like instant messengers, and unnecessary programs often give you the option whether or not to have it at start up when installing. However most people overlook those options, or sometimes they aren't even the option. Whatever the case, getting to the "Startup Manager" is very simple.

For Windows users:
Click the "Start" button in the bottom left corner of your screen
Click "Run" which should be at the bottom of the right side of the start menu there
Type "msconfig" without the quotation marks, into the run prompt.
When the window opens you will notice several tabs at the top.
Click on the "startup" tab to get to the manager

At this point you want to un-check any option from there that you would like to remove from start up, and then click apply.

That concludes my guide for now. I will probably update it later, as I will always be finding new ways to speed up your computer.

Sublime Oz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to keep your computer fast!

Postby Sublime Oz » 23 Jan 2011, 00:25

Sweet man thanks.
I'm looking forward to more guides :)

kathy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kathy » 24 Feb 2011, 01:34

Very informative guide there
Thanks
xxxx

slare
Level 3
Level 3

Postby slare » 04 Mar 2011, 02:30

Awesome guide.

Sweet Simplicity
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Sweet Simplicity » 08 Mar 2011, 11:31

Thanks. I'll do some de-fragmenting.

Edit, I just checked, it actually de-fragments automatically every week xD
[center]ImageImageImage
Everyone's a kid that no-one cares about,
You just gotta keep screaming 'til they hear you out.[/center]

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Tech Knowledge: Expert

Postby shovenose » 08 Mar 2011, 20:21

i would recommend Iobit's Smart Defrag. it does a good job at defragging and optimizing files, and its free!

Gamrpro
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Gamrpro » 23 Mar 2011, 20:13

Here is what I do to keep my computer fast. I run CCleaner and my anti-virus (Full Scan). I do it once a week and its been great!

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Tech Knowledge: Expert

Postby shovenose » 27 Mar 2011, 11:33

running a full scan of you anti-virus isn't gonna do anything to make it faster.

yesterday at work someone wsa having Windows issues and then they said something like "Every Day i run the Norton Registry Optimizer and every Weekend I run the Disk Defrag"

at which point i was like "that's not neccessary. Only run a registry cleaner every month or so and don't bother with a virus scan every 20 minutes! And you don't need to defrag so often either, it's bad for your HDD!"

the amount of crap companies shove toward consumers and lead them to believe

Charlie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Charlie » 30 Mar 2011, 13:49

You may also want to try Wise Registry cleaner,it is free @ http://www.wisecleaner.com ,it has worked well for me.

Patrick
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Patrick » 09 Apr 2011, 20:42

Great guides guys! I will try some of these tips myself. I never knew that you could choose startup programs from the msconfig option. I always used CCleaner.

solidghost
Level 1
Level 1

Postby solidghost » 02 May 2011, 05:05

Best way is to format and reinstall your OS clean.

Toshi Sasaki
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Toshi Sasaki » 02 May 2011, 18:32

Why are you suggesting to use Microsoft SES and security programs no one's ever heard of. I recommend Norton, but on the other hand MSES is FREE and Norton is NOT.

Topic Author
THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Postby THCAndy » 02 May 2011, 21:19

Toshi Sasaki wrote:Why are you suggesting to use Microsoft SES and security programs no one's ever heard of. I recommend Norton, but on the other hand MSES is FREE and Norton is NOT.

All of the programs stated in this guide are HIGHLY used by users and technicians alike. Computer repair shops often use Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware to clean up viruses, after a manual check, or removal.

The only program that isn't very popular is Advanced SystemCare, and I feel that is a simple program that will make your computer noticeably fasted after prolonged use. I've recommended it to friends, to speed up their games, and it has worked like a charm. :)

Toshi Sasaki
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Toshi Sasaki » 03 May 2011, 08:04

Oh I see, but MSES sucks, my virus problem only got WORSE with it.

Topic Author
THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Postby THCAndy » 03 May 2011, 10:00

I've never used it to remove viruses from a computer, but it works great at PREVENTING them from getting on there. If you already have a virus, you should be using Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware.

Toshi Sasaki
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Toshi Sasaki » 03 May 2011, 18:04

I don't, I bought a new PC and have been using it since.

lyssa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lyssa » 09 Jun 2011, 02:25

Nice post....As i have also a information about 24 Seven Pc Care, which provides effective tips to improve your pc. May be it's also useful to you.

Lyssa

JLogan
Level 3
Level 3

Postby JLogan » 21 Oct 2011, 20:27

Some good tips. I myself love auslogics defragmenter

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

The best free tool, imo.
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “Technology Discussion”