Several new features have been added to the board, check the Announcements for more details!

Web of Trust - Safe Browsing Tool

Discuss all different Technology in this forum.

Topic Author
User
Level 1
Level 1

Web of Trust - Safe Browsing Tool

Postby User » 26 Feb 2011, 08:05

It came to my attention that one of our users here at Tech-Squad has fallen a victim to redirection links via Google, that have turned out to be harmful to computers. I just wanted to share this browser add-on that can eliminate this problem completely.

It's called WoT (Web of Trust), and it's an add-on compatible with Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, and Opera browsers, so it is very universal.

Description wrote:Web of Trust is the leading website reputation rating tool and one of Mozilla’s most popular add-ons. Our safe surfing tool uses an intuitive traffic-light style rating system to help you see which websites are trusted when you search, surf and shop online.

WOT ratings are powered by a global community of millions of trustworthy users who have rated millions of websites based on their experiences. The WOT add-on provides reputation ratings to search results when you use Google, Yahoo!, Bing, Wikipedia and other popular sites, helping you protect your computer and personal information. Your online email account – Google Mail, Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail is also protected.

Link:
http://www.mywot.com/en/download

THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Web of Trust - Safe Browsing Tool

Postby THCAndy » 26 Feb 2011, 08:56

I used to have this when I used Firefox, haven't really bothered using it on Chrome though.
Definitely a great add-on though!

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Tech Knowledge: Expert

Postby shovenose » 27 Feb 2011, 01:58

yeah i use that :)

bitrun
Level 2
Level 2

Postby bitrun » 27 Feb 2011, 09:50

I've had this forever. It's an awesome extension

THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Postby THCAndy » 01 Mar 2011, 12:08

I've seen phoney websites that try to get you to download "anti-virus" get through this, but they aren't usually harmful unless you click "ok" on one of their popups...

Then it's all downhill from there.

salty2980
Level 2
Level 2

Postby salty2980 » 01 Mar 2011, 19:04

I also used to use this when I used Firefox but Chrome is really a solid browser, my personal favorite! WOT is a great app though!

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Postby shovenose » 01 Mar 2011, 21:36

omg talking about viruses, today at school almost every single computer in the school library and 2 teacher's computers got the "security tool" virus...big f*cking pain in the @$$

THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Postby THCAndy » 02 Mar 2011, 16:27

I can't tell you how many times I've seen security tool.
A rough estimate would be 3 though...

It's not too hard to remove if you know what you're doing. But on a scale like that, I'm not really sure xP

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Postby shovenose » 03 Mar 2011, 00:11

The way the domain network is set up even the it guy has somewhat restrricted account, so installing security scanners worked intermittently only. We used a mixture of superantispyware and malwarebytes toclean the computers. Some had security toolothers had trojans.i hadto leave earlybut f the six i worked on all had infectins :)
Im typing on my new phone sorry iha vent gotused to the keyboard or the onscreen touchkeyboard :)

THCAndy
Level 7
Level 7

Postby THCAndy » 03 Mar 2011, 10:57

Haha, I assumed so, I noticed errors in your spelling that I get on my phone sometimes too.
You're using the T-Mobile G1?
I was thinking of getting a Google phone, or a MyTouch when I upgrade my phone (November)

Cage
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cage » 03 Mar 2011, 13:29

A friend of mine has the MyTouch (I believe), and it looks pretty nice. I'm not sure of the details but I think he has open source downloading!

shovenose
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Postby shovenose » 05 Mar 2011, 10:53

well, heres thing thing: its a really nice phone and i really like it.
except for three things:
1. less than 1gb internal storage, and i have an additional 1gb sd card. havent run into any issues, but thats not a lot of storage.
2. the big piece thats on the right when you slide the screen out obstructs typing of the right hand.
3. its broken...

it works wonderfully and flawless until i turn it off (well, not really off but just in standby or whatever you wanna call it), then if i revive it out of standby within a minute or two, the screen works fine like normal. however, it i wait a little longer, the screen wont come back on. the keys will light upand i can hear the little noise when i adjust the volume using the buttons on the side, so i know its on, but the screen doesnt come back on.
it's apparently a very common problem.

i really like htc phones so im gonna get one probably, here are the three that interest me:
http://www.htc.com/us/products/compare/ ... ters=1-0-0
the inspire 4g is by far the best, but its likely im gonna get the aria. i know somebody at school who has it and its a nice little phone :)

Sublime Oz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Sublime Oz » 08 Mar 2011, 13:42

thanks for the recommendation!
just installed it

Return to “Technology Discussion”